Places to Party

Monday, June 30, 2014

Weave Your Home a Little Happy Rug

I love making things to make my home happy and cozy. Sure, you can go out and buy some mass produced item, but when you make a basket, quilt or rag rug for your home, you know what the quality of the item is, you choose the materials and you can change up the colors, textures, etc.



My weaving partner, Mr. Mittens at work!

 


I started this blog featuring one of these rugs. They are the perfect use up for selvages, old  flannel blankets that have torn or even to reduce that fabric stash we all have. These make wonderful gifts and they may last long enough to even be passed down. I made my first rag rug over a year ago and I'm happy to say, it's one of my favorite things I've ever made. Cushy and wonderful, it's the perfect partner to have under your feet when you are doing the dishes. Because I've packed a lot of material in there, it will last years.



As you can see this would be very simple to build.



The great thing about weaving these rugs is that if you want to create the frame, it really isn't all that difficult. There are a couple of books that you can get online that show you how. A few brads, four pieces of lumber, some hooks and some long stem hooked bars and you are on your way. If you don't want to make your own loom, you probably can find them online or maybe in your local quilt shop, that is where I found mine at
http://countrytreasuresquiltshop.com/ctqs2011/
although the cost will be a lot more than what it'll cost to make it.







Once you have your frame, you start your rag rug by ripping fabric into 1" strips. You want to use a cotton or flannel that has been washed and dried so that the resultant fabric has been shrunk. Ripping the fabric makes sure you straighten out the selvage ends. While not really all that important when weaving a rug, it is when you are cutting out a quilt. You want to make sure that this is the final size of the fabric so that when you wash the rug for the first time, you don't get any unforeseen consequences. I accomplish this typically in two ways. One, if I have any selvages left or strips left after a quilting project, I use those or two, cut little cuts along one edge of the material you are going to use and rip it on down! You want strips at 12" or longer and trust me, it'll take a lot.


The placemat loom showing the warp. Always start with
a longer piece that fold so that one end is longer than the other.


The strips that form the base of your weaving is called the warp. It really doesn't matter what color or pattern you use as this is going to be completely covered. Utilize the ugliest fabric you'll never use here or whatever you have left over from other projects. I use whatever fabrics or strips I got left and just join them together.

Sandwich your strips together and cut a slit. Pull the top
strip through the bottom hole and pull tight.
Joining fabric strips together couldn't be easier! Just cut a vertical strip at the end of the row you are joining to. On your new strip, cut an identical hole. Now, with the new strip on top, layer your strips together. Feed the top strip underneath your layer and feed up through the bottom hole. Pull though and tug so that you have a solid join. Don't worry if you have a few "wings" peaking out. You'll be weaving over them.








To warp your loom, start by making a simple square knot in the upper left hand corner on

the bar. Then start your warp by wrapping the strip up and down to make a grid like this. When you run out of a strip and you will... trust me it takes a lot of fabric to warp and weave... simply tie a simple not around the brad and make sure to keep your tension on the grid even. You want your grid to be tight... not tight enough to bend your brads but tight on them. Finish your warp by tying yet another square knot on the bar at the other end.

 


Now the fun part, actual weaving! Yeah!

 
Unlike a loom or basket, weaving on this loom you are
twining around the warp on either side so the warp is
never seen. Use your fingers to push the fabric up
tightly against your previous row of weaving. Your fingers
become your "beater bar".
With a decently long piece, fold it so one end is longer than the other. Does this sound familiar? If you read through the basket piece it is the same idea. You don't want both pieces to end in the same place so you don't have a "lump" in your finished project. To weave, simply go in and out around your warping strips making sure that you pack the strips as tight as you can towards the top of the brads. There is no sewing on this rug, so when you remove it off the loom, you want to make sure it is packed tight.







Now comes the tricky part, the edges. You need to make them tight. When you get to the edge, on the strip that is ending on the top of the bar, wrap it around the bar. Open up a loop and slide this in the loop and pull it tight. Knowing that a picture is worth a thousand words, here we go.


Bring the strip on top around the bar, open the loop formed
and slide the strip through.







Pull tight. Starting with the strip in the back (in the case the
pink strip, begin your weaving with the second strip in.

 When you get several rows of weaving, turn the piece and begin the process over again and weave the other side. You are going to be weaving this way switching sides each time until your rug is completed. The rug completes in the middle and you simply weave the loose ends back into your weaving cutting off any long ends.


 


To complete your rug, simply remove the two bars on either side that you wove & knotted the weaving around. Then gently lift your rug off the loom.







Weaving your first rug can be as quick or long as you make it. I find the repetitive nature of weaving very relaxing. I can listen to the TV and keep my hands I weaving in and out of piece and it's very gratifying to see how many rows you can weave in a setting and watch the pattern emerge. I don't ever plan my color palette and find that regardless of the color or pattern of the fabric, the end result is very beautiful. Sometimes I make sure that if I have a dominate color on one side, I'll do it on another just to be somewhat symmetrical.



These are wonderful additions to any home. They are perfect and unexpected gifts for the holiday season. Start one today, you may find a new hobby that you'll enjoy for years.



UPDATE: Since I originally posted this, I've made several rugs. Having had to wash them and line dry them this weekend, I decided to take some pictures.


 
I like doing the multi-color because they use up a variety of fabric.



Lately, however, I've been doing more color blocked work. I used old bed sheets I buy at the local Goodwill to get enough fabric for these because they take so much of one color.




49 comments:

  1. I love handwoven rugs. I've been (off and on) hand weaving a white bedsheet rug for my daughter's bedroom. I love that you made yours rectangular using a loom - a someday craft for me for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can find the title of the book, I'll send you the name of the book I have that shows you how to make the loom. It's really simple. I had taken classes on weaving looms and I'll tell you they are really comlplicated and EXPENSIVE! There was no way I could justify buying a whole loom just to weave a rag rug. I was so glad when I found this loom. The great thing about it is that you can use up any fabric you have. I had an old flannel bedsheet that we tore and normally you'd throw that out. Instead, it became part of this rug. It's so comfy and I love that it has been reused instead of simply thrown out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great and useful project! This is something my daughter and I want to tackle one day. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for commenting and dropping by. This is a perfect project to use up all those strips from your strip quilting project or for that matter to "upcycle" any fabric that may have otherwise gone into the trash. I hope you try it, I'm sure it'll come out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey your rug is beautiful, thanks for the inspiration :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice project! I had no idea you could make your own frame. What a good use of left over fabric too. Thank you for stopping by #MerryMonday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book that teaches you to make the frame is called "Rags To Rugs".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! Doing it! I made a braided denim rug awhile back and it's time for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute I am going to have to make one! I would love for you to share your project on my Meet Up Monday Blog Party! http://jennymaire.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is a great idea! I can't wait to make a rug when we move! :)

    Stopping over from Wednesday Whatsits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let me know how your rugs turn out. Would be exciting to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great tutorial! I always wondered how these were made!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your rug, and you make the project sound so easy! If I can get my husband to make the loom, I just may try this. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks! I bought my loom only because I knew we'd never get around to making it.. (ironic, I can make the rugs but can't get around to making the loom!) but the pattern in Rags to Rugs is very easy and it's very relaxing to weave while watching tv.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ever since I was a teenager I've wanted to make a rag rug, still haven't got round to it! This is a different way of making it than I've seen before. I'm going to use this to start a pinterest board of ideas so that one day, when I've got time I'll be all ready to choose a way to make it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your tutorial is great Stacey and your rug turned our beautiful. I had no idea it was so easy to make a woven rug. And, it is a great way to use up all those scraps of fabric. This is a great project - thank you for sharing on Wake Up Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Stacey-- I just wanted to know that your pretty rug has been featured at Snickerdoodle Sunday this week! Please stop by and share another project with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks Great! Thanks for sharing at So Much at Home. Come link up each week. A new link up begins each Wednesday and runs for a week.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always wanted to try my hand at this. Love the rustic charm of a handmade rug! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love homemade rugs! Great job :-) and I have two potential weaving partners! So I have all the furry help I need :-D
    Greetings, Ronja Lotte
    (www.nur-noch.blogspot.de)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made one of these a year or two ago. It was a nice fall and winter project. ( Did a little here and there between some quilting ) Yours is just lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've got a lot of fabric scraps and rags stashed in various corners of my house. Maybe I'll make my own rag rug. I really like all the different colours and patterns you have mixed in there - very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome reuse of materials, and your partner, Mr. Mittens, is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ohhh love this! we tried similar using a hula hoop (which collapsed) so making a frame is brilliant! I think I have our next weekend project! Thanks for sharing with us at the Creative Craft Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love rag rugs. When I was a kid, we use to weave with yarn on make shift cardboard frames. It was so much fun. Your woven rag rug looks fantastic. And I appreciate the tutorial. Best wishes, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for sharing the technique with us. I love rag rugs and have several in my home. This would be great project to do with my girls. Thanks so much for stopping by Simply Inspired Wednesday at the Simplified Life. I hope you can join us this week too. ~Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  27. I absolutely love the texture of rag rugs underfoot.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been thinking about rag rugs lately. I love the texture and color they add. Very cute! Thanks for sharing at The Creative Circle.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love handmade rugs, and I had no idea it was that easy to make a loom. That's going to be my husband's next job. :-) On a side note, it's always nice to run into another Stacey in the crafty blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks beautiful. Reminds me of the woven rugs we all used to have at uni. #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful rug! Thank you for the tutorial! I'd like to feature it tomorrow at Tuesdays with a Twist. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been doubly featured - I loved it so much too & I featured it on my blog as part of Tuesdays with a Twist also: http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2015/08/time-to-link-up-tuesdays-with-twist-125.html
      Thanks
      Angie

      Delete
  32. I love these! Especially since I can just throw them into the washer! I used to make my own yarn out of t-shirts to make things with. Thank you for linking up with us at the Tips and Tricks Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  33. How cool is that!! My Mom made something similar...years ago! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you again this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is so pretty and such a great way to use up y our old fabric. My grandparents used to do this here in Greece and I have a whole bunch of these rag rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are very pretty. I enjoy crocheting rag rugs and find it very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What pretty rag rugs you made!! Great job. Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Again, so talented! :) This turned out great!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I really love your rug and hope to be able to make one someday!! All of them are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is incredible Stacey. You have the patience of a saint, I swear! Thanks for sharing at Five Star Frou-Frou. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Dear Stacey:
    My Mother used to make these but I never knew how she did it. I love them - especially pastel colored ones. Your's is lovely! So glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  41. So cool! I love braided rugs. I've never seen how they are made before. Thanks for sharing this at Your Inspired Design!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi there
    Just stopped by to let you know that I featured this on my Round Tuit post this week!
    A Round Tuit 334
    Thanks again for linking up to A Round Tuit Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  43. Stacey, I love rag rugs, and yours are no exception. I once tried to make one by plaiting (braiding), but gave up half way, due to the thought of sewing the plaits together at the end. I like your way of using a loom much better. Now to make myself a loom! I've showcased your lovely rugs and tutorial today...
    l

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have always had a love for rugs! I've been kicking around the idea of crocheting one or making one out of macrame, but I love your tutorial and think I may give this a try! Thanks so much for sharing with us on Party in Your PJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  45. oriental weave rugs are avalibale with afortable prices. we also offer free shipping services accroess all state of USA.

    ReplyDelete