Places to Party

Monday, August 22, 2016

The Storyteller's Quilt Pt #2

Time to finish this quilt up! 

Jena's Quilt


If you visited this blog December 2014, you saw the three Star of Bethlehem quilts I made for the ladies in my family. Wow, has time passed! I thought I did this last year only to discover it was two years ago. 









As the ladies got stars so should the guys. After all, they are all stars in my heart! When my dad comes in from doing the chores in winter and it takes him a long time to get warm. 





He doesn't really need a full size quilt, just something he can fall asleep in sitting in the chair. 

The quilt is going to have the star of Bethlehem in the center but I wanted it to reflect the general feel of the time the quilt is set in so I choose fabrics that I felt would represent that, namely greens, oranges, black and a multi-print that shows food labels. I chose the food labels as so many people worked picking fruit during the depression and for so many people, food was hard to come by.
 
   For a refresher of how to do the Star of Bethlehem block, select here.  

Next we straighten up the edges and start laying out the blocks.  I decided to put a strip 3" wide in between the blocks so they weren't butted up against each other and really liked the effect. To tie all the blocks together with the star, I used the only material I had left, the green fabric to tie all the ends together
 
Dad's Storyteller's/The Hobo Star Quilt





When I originally started piecing this quilt, I had made 12" blocks and did not want to waste them so they became the top and the bottom sections of this quilt. In the end I really liked the result. Now to send it off to get it quilted before the holidays. Below are the call outs of what the blocks mean that I used. Some I choose had meaning, others just because I liked the graphics of the symbols.    
Doctor No Charge
Gentlemen
Hold Your Tongue
Sit Down and Feed

A Kind Hearted Lady Lives Here
A Well Guarded House
You'll Get Cursed Out Here!


Anything Goes

Ok!


Can Sleep in the Barn

Keep Quiet!

Don't Go This Way

A Dishonest Person Lives Here

Woman

There are thieves about

Be Prepared to Defend Yourself

Fake Illness

Hobos Arrested Onsite

Tell a Pitiful Story

Worth Robbing

Jail

Chain Gang

Bad Dog

Straight Adhead
 
Bread





Work Available
Good Camp
Man with Gun! (one of my favorites, so funny!)




That concludes this quilt, now off to one for my brother and oh, I think that will be spectacular! I can't wait to begin..... 

8 comments:

  1. what a FUN post. i loved working my brain to "get' the blocks. thank you. --suz in ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are super neat quilting blocks! I've never seen anything like it. Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilts.Thank you for sharing for with us at #HomeMattersParty. We would like to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the blocks and the meaning of the symbols.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous quilt! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Dishing It & Digging It!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing all the hobo blocks and their meaning. What a fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete