Places to Party

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Girl's Got Glass...

Check off one more entry on my crafting bucket list! 

If you noticed the blog was a little quiet the past week it was because we took a staycation.

Stay= Home

(Va) cation= no funds to go anywhere else

Actually, while it wasn't as relaxing as one would hope, we did do a couple of really fun things. One of those was going to the Corning Museum of GlassFor as long as I've lived in the Rochester region, I have wanted to visit this place. It's located near the Pennsylvania border and, while the area is primarily known for the glass museum, there is also a fun little village to walk around and the Rockwell Museum to tour.




Not only can you see wonderful displays, but you can also watch artisans make glass right in front of your eyes in several different demos. It's amazing!


To watch some take 2000 degree class and blow it into a usable or beautiful creation is simply spectacular and would have been a treat just in itself. 

But the one thing I've always wanted to do is make my own Christmas ornament in glass. My mother still has one from her old tree growing up and I always wanted to create one to have a family heirloom to hand down. To actually have an ornament that you actually used your breath to create and to watch this liquid bit of goo become an actual object is phenomenal and not something I'm going to forget anytime soon.

Here is how it was done...

This is frit.
First, our teacher took out a blow pipe and grabbed some liquid glass from the kiln. She had us just clean off the end and put a cardboard protector on it.

The pipe is hollow but its so long that there is no real chance of inhaling any glass.

Adding color to the ornament.

She then grabbed some frit (small glass shards) in the colors we selected and rolled the liquid glass in it.Up until she puts the frit onto the liquid glass, the glass is essentially clear.

This little mold creates the spiral.

You had a choice to do a smooth ornament or a spiral one. Each of us chose the spiral one although we did choose different shapes as you'll see. To create the spirals, after she put in the frit covered glass into the kiln, she took it out and immediately put it in this mold then removed it.

Then it is time to blow this ornament into being while she shapes it.
Starting to look like an ornament now!

My son choose to create a teardrop shape.

I think my son's colors look the best and it's funny because when he chose this I thought, "Yikes"!

She then takes the glass (there are several trips to the kiln) and creates the glass loop to hang the ornament.

...And just like magic, you have an ornament!

Steve's Ornament

My Ornament

Dixon's  Ornament

If you ever find yourself near Corning, New  York, I highly recommend a day  trip to the Corning Museum or sign up for a class. Coming up they have a class to create your own glass pumpkin. I may have to take another day trip... too much fun!

Monday, August 22, 2016

The Storyteller's Quilt Pt #2

Time to finish this quilt up! 

Jena's Quilt

If you visited this blog December 2014, you saw the three Star of Bethlehem quilts I made for the ladies in my family. Wow, has time passed! I thought I did this last year only to discover it was two years ago. 

As the ladies got stars so should the guys. After all, they are all stars in my heart! When my dad comes in from doing the chores in winter and it takes him a long time to get warm. 

He doesn't really need a full size quilt, just something he can fall asleep in sitting in the chair. 

The quilt is going to have the star of Bethlehem in the center but I wanted it to reflect the general feel of the time the quilt is set in so I choose fabrics that I felt would represent that, namely greens, oranges, black and a multi-print that shows food labels. I chose the food labels as so many people worked picking fruit during the depression and for so many people, food was hard to come by.
   For a refresher of how to do the Star of Bethlehem block, select here.  

Next we straighten up the edges and start laying out the blocks.  I decided to put a strip 3" wide in between the blocks so they weren't butted up against each other and really liked the effect. To tie all the blocks together with the star, I used the only material I had left, the green fabric to tie all the ends together
Dad's Storyteller's/The Hobo Star Quilt

When I originally started piecing this quilt, I had made 12" blocks and did not want to waste them so they became the top and the bottom sections of this quilt. In the end I really liked the result. Now to send it off to get it quilted before the holidays. Below are the call outs of what the blocks mean that I used. Some I choose had meaning, others just because I liked the graphics of the symbols.    
Doctor No Charge
Hold Your Tongue
Sit Down and Feed

A Kind Hearted Lady Lives Here
A Well Guarded House
You'll Get Cursed Out Here!

Anything Goes


Can Sleep in the Barn

Keep Quiet!

Don't Go This Way

A Dishonest Person Lives Here


There are thieves about

Be Prepared to Defend Yourself

Fake Illness

Hobos Arrested Onsite

Tell a Pitiful Story

Worth Robbing


Chain Gang

Bad Dog

Straight Adhead

Work Available
Good Camp
Man with Gun! (one of my favorites, so funny!)

That concludes this quilt, now off to one for my brother and oh, I think that will be spectacular! I can't wait to begin.....